Tickets are on sale now for Gator by the Bay! The New Orleans-themed festival is a yearly tradition for San Diego, and one of the best music celebrations of the year! I checked it out last year, and look forward to doing so again.
The festival will be held at Spanish Landing Park, across from the San Diego International Airport. It features four days of live music with over 90 musical acts and special performances on seven stages, along with 10,000 pounds of crawfish trucked from Louisiana, non-stop dancing, shopping, playing and eating on the beautiful San Diego Bay.
The festival will kick off with a concert headlined by C.J. Chenier, son of the Grammy Award-winning legendary “King of Zydeco”, Clifton Chenier, on from to 10:30 p.m. C.J. was literally born into the musical tradition of southwest Louisiana and Texas Zydeco, a chugging, accordion-led blend of French Creole and African-derived influences.
Other musical headliners this year include:
- Bonsoir Catin, a mostly female band playing traditional Cajun dancehall gems and sweet Louisiana ballads and a fresh new Cajun sound.
- Jeffery Broussard and the Creole Cowboys from Lawtell, Louisiana. Broussard stands as innovator and keeper of the classic Zydeco traditions.
- Curley Taylor and Zydeco Trouble from Lafayette, Louisiana playing a mix of traditional and nouveau Zydeco designed to “keep the folks dancing.”
- Local slide guitarist Johnny “V” Vernazza will host his annual Blues show with guests Roy Rogers and John Nemeth. This is a special once in a lifetime show.
- Blues greats Sugaray Rayford, Curtis Salgado, Rick Estrin, Kim Wilson, and The 44’s with Kid Ramos.
- Daily Mardi Gras parades with the Euphoria Brass Band
- Special Kazoo Parade to play along with much loved local Blues hero Billy Watson who will partner with Blues guitar legend Jr. Watson for a very special show. Billy will pass out 100 Kazoos so everyone can join his end of show parade.
- A full roster of local favorites including, Sue Palmer, Bayou Brothers, Zydeco Mudbugs, Theo & the Zydeco Patrol, Billy Lee & the Swamp Critters, Manny Cepeda and Bill Magee.
Tickets are available now; don't miss this beautiful, family-friendly music fest!